|Fake Promo Shot|
Last week the internets blew up momentarily over a snippet...I repeat a snippet...of what may or may not be Beyonce's upcoming single "Girls (Who Rule The World)". I say "maybe" because...
- It all feels very weird and hush hush. Perhaps Mrs. Carter is down with the Illuminati because I can't remember when a song was as highly secretive as this. Perhaps it's all a ploy to release a song that has zero to do with the 22 seconds below. Best misdirection ever? We'll see.
- This woman must own the internets. Remember the Alicia Keys video for "Put It In A Love Song" that she was to co-star? Remember the pictures of them filming in Brazil? Remember the video? Nope. You don't because it never came out. Not one leak.
- Which brings me to the snippet. What kind of confidentiality agreements does Beyonce use? Is the punishment death? How is it possible that the song in its entirety hasn't leaked?
- I've read a lot of comments about this snippet from "this is nothing new" to "the queen is back to slay heaux". The buzz is spreading like wild fires and people are talking. Are snippets the new promo tool?
- Speaking of nothing new. The track is a sample of Major Lazer's "Pon De Floor". Swizz Beatz also recently used it for Diddy - Dirty Money's "Ass On The Floor". Not exactly the fresh music you'd expect of a highly anticipated return to dominance.
- Select pictures from the video surfaced three days straight of Beyonce somewhere in the desert looking absolutely fierce. The theme of the video is said to be global women empowerment and I have no doubt that it will take the song to at least 4 new levels. She's said to be using her core group of dancers and reports say that she requested 200 more dancers to round of some of the dance sequences. An anonymous poster said the choreography will be bigger and more viral than "Single Ladies". They say a lot don't they?
- Speaking of pictures. Someone even went as far as crafted a promo poster (shown above) for the video which a lot of sites including MTV.com picked up and featured before it was declared a fake. People are so hungry for anything new that they're making it up.
- The title originally known as "Girl" singular is also pretty clever if you think about it. One search will lead you to a slew of other related Beyonce material. "Naughty Girl", "Broken Hearted Girl" as well as "Girl" from Destiny Fulfilled. Good luck searching for this new song even when it comes out.
- Whenever that happens. Some reports said it would premiere this past Friday (it did not) while other say end of April. Point is, the fact that there isn't even a confirmed release date is just beyond anything witnessed in this digital piracy era.
If you haven't heard the clip yet here it is:
In all I'm excited about the return of Bey Season. It seems that this time around she really did lay low and live a little which has inspired her "own little gumbo of music".
So what do you think about the song so far? Any thoughts on the video's theme? What are you hoping to hear from Beyonce's new material?
The floor is open.
Listen to entire song here: